Friday, August 16, 2013

My Thoughts on: Kendrick Lamar's verse on "Control"

Let me put this out before it becomes an irrelevant matter, but first "Oh my God, did you hear what Kendrick Lamar said on Control yet? You haven't? well here it is! Listen so we can all complain about it!" 


Heard it yet?

Yeah Big Sean got murked on his own song.

Wait what am I talking about again?


Oh yeah Kendrick's Verse... What was that again?

"I'm usually homeboys with the same n----s i'm rhymin with/ But this is hip-hop and them n----s should know what time it is/ And that goes for Jermaine Cole, Big K.R.I.T., Wale/ Pusha T, Meek Mill, A$AP Rocky, Drake/ Big Sean, Jay Electron', Tyler, Mac Miller/ I got love for you all but I'm tryna murder you n----s/ Tryna make sure your core fans never heard of you n----s/ They don't wanna hear not one more noun or verb from you n---as." 

Now I may not make this apparent on this blog, but right now K-dot has been one of my favorite rappers since 2012. He's one of the few reasons why I started to have more faith in Hip-Hop nowadays. (sad but true) He's one of the few rappers that doesn't talk about the money in his pocket or how much his watch cost, he focuses on his struggle, the struggles of others, self improvement, movement, things a lot of rappers today can't speak on cause they don't wanna rock the Status Quo. Though now he's managed to carve out a bit of mainstream appeal, he still keep true to his origins. 

K-dots verse on "Control" may not be the best verse he's ever wrote, but since the single dropped it has become the only thing people talk about. Why so? because we are all wondering the same thing: "Why did he say that?" When I mean we I don't mean rappers or artists (The good ones have excepted the challenge), I mean "we" the fans, the consumers.

That's real Hip Hop! Its not just here to make Twerk music; its not just here to swoo females with breaks of singing inbetween, and its not here to throw catchphrases and memes: it's here to make a statement. Kendrick is using his verse to challenge his competition to come stronger than what they have coming out with. Most of us look at it as an approaching war against K-dot, I look at it as a friendly spar of wits and styles between heavy-hitters in the game. If someone wants to diss Kendrick let him, if someone wants to outdo Kendrick go right a head, cause really all the verse is saying is "Do Better or I will Do better!" And quite frankly the true cause death of any thing in this world is Stagnation.

Here's what most of the rap game thinks





















Sources:


No comments:

Post a Comment